We’re planning to grow our business for our 9th straight year in 2019, and part of this will entail hiring multiple employees across all three of our departments. Our goal has always to been to build a team of fun people who are interested in working together towards perfecting our crafts and helping our clients. We believe in balance. Balancing work with your life. Balancing the amount of beer your drink from the office keg with the amount of time you spend enjoying everything Vermont has to offer. Balancing functionality with efficiency in your code. All positions are on-site and come with health insurance, wellness stipend, vacation and PTO, plus the opportunity to join one of Vermont’s fastest growing web companies. We’re an equal opportunity employer and welcome all applicants. Send us a resume if you want to learn more… [email protected]
This role will include architecting and defining solutions to complex technical problems, software interactions, or front end design issues. You will be a source of great ideas and support for our development team, and will also help to build and update websites primarily using the WordPress content management system, but will also be asked to manipulate additional open source platforms such as Magento. Given your strong technical aptitude and creative problem-solving skills, you will work individually or with a small team to help support our wide range of existing websites and 3rd party integrations. Our most successful employees have been able to apply their skills on the job and create unique roles for themselves within our team; we encourage you to do the work here that you do best. This is a full time, salaried position with benefits and will be based in our Burlington, Vermont office.
While working independently and as a collaborative member of a small team, your responsibilities will include:
- Build and maintain backend software, databases (MySQL/mariadb) and systems to drive functionality for websites
- Deliver new website options or functionality based on client requests, continued feedback, and creative problem solving
- Work collaboratively with team members to help identify and fix bugs
- Be comfortable with rapidly changing projects according to daily needs and tracking billable hours*
- Provide regular status updates to Project Managers or Business Development Team
- Identify solutions that can be applied to improve the accuracy, efficiency, and functionality of existing and new web applications
- Work quickly and efficiently to meet tight deadlines and budget requirements
- Stay current on industry trends, best practices, emerging technologies*
- 2 years of Web Development experience with demonstrable portfolio, including sample source code and/or link to git repository
- Strong experience developing in vanilla WordPress
- Working experience in the Bootstrap 4 Framework
- Understanding of version control systems, preferably git
- Strong understanding of cross-browser, cross-platform issues and testing
- Experience working with responsive web design principles
- Experience working with eCommerce platforms such as WooCommerce, Magento, Shopify, 3DCart, etc
- Knowledge of CRM and Project Management tools such as Basecamp, Trello, Harvest or ZenDesk
CORE COMPETENCIES FOR SUCCESS
Strong attention to detail, persistent drive for problem solving, the ability to resolve complex problems in an ever-evolving environment, demonstrated organizational skills, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, ability to work independently and within a team, highly responsive, flexible, and adaptable to changing priorities / deadlines, ability to think critically and be creative.
SUMMARY OF POSITION: You are responsible for helping to support and maintain our wide range of existing WordPress and Magento websites. Manipulating these open sourced platforms to solve problems of various complexity will be a daily occurrence. Beyond the technical aspect, you are also expected to develop good relationships with clients as you work with them over the phone, via email, or in person to troubleshoot and fix their website issues and concerns. Given your strong technical aptitude and creative problem-solving skills, you will also work individually or with a small team on custom development projects — including website redesigns and web applications. This is a full-time, hourly position with benefits and will be based in our Burlington, Vermont office.
PRINCIPAL RESPONSIBILITIES: While working independently and reporting to the Support Desk Manager, your responsibilities will include:
- Basic graphic manipulation using Adobe Photoshop CC or CS6
- Work collaboratively with team members to help identify and fix bugs, including cross browser and responsive problems
- Directly manage Client support inquiries and communications
- Be comfortable managing multiple and rapidly changing tasks according to daily needs
- Provide regular status updates to Clients and direct Manager
- Work efficiently to meet deadlines and budget requirements
- Stay current on industry trends, best practices, emerging technologies
- Excellent written and oral communication skills with 2+ years experience working with WordPress and/or Magento platforms.
- Experience working with responsive web design principles
- Working knowledge of Photoshop
- Understanding of cross-browser, cross-platform issues
- Experience using version control systems (git, SVN)
- Exposure to eCommerce platforms such as WooCommerce, Magento, Shopify, 3D Cart, etc.
- Knowledge of CRM and Project Management tools such as Basecamp, Asana, Harvest or ZenDesk
- Experience in a customer/client facing role
Core Competencies that will make you successful in this role: Extreme attention to detail, persistent drive for problem-solving, excellent reading comprehension, ability to resolve complex problems in an ever evolving environment, demonstrated organizational skills, ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, and perhaps most importantly the ability to think critically and be creative.
help Create websites and novel client experiences.
Position: Full Time
Location: Burlington, VT
Salary: $40 – $47k
From the “cheapest best” brochure site to more innovative “3.0” iterations, Bytes builds it all. This doesn’t come easy, and we need you for quality assurance. Help our development team always do their best. Work with Clients to make them feel good about the end product. Provide value to our process by streamlining workflow and updating internal documentation.
Recipe for success
Persistent drive for problem-solving and critical thinking. Unbending attention to detail. Organized and creative. Exceptional written and verbal communication skills. Multi-tasker. Not afraid of deadlines, or rapid change. Experience with WordPress and other content management systems. Process or business analysis experience is preferred.
- Prioritize development tasks based on timeline or scope.
- Update project timelines based on deliverables or feedback.
- Work directly with the development team to help assess technical project requirements.
- Translate technical project deliverables into discrete tasks for development.
- Communicate directly with Clients to gather required information.
- QA specific development tasks and document issues.
- QA websites and document issues.
- Update or add internal documentation.
- Provide direct Client training on how to use WordPress.
- Regular Reporting, Analysis & Correspondence with Production Manager and Development Team.
Burlington Bytes, LLC provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Burlington Bytes, LLC complies with applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has facilities. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training. Burlington Bytes, LLC expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, genetic information, disability, or veteran status. Improper interference with the ability of Burlington Bytes, LLC’s employees to perform their job duties may result in discipline up to and including discharge.