What is Checkout Optimization?
Checkout optimization is the process of eliminating obstacles in an eCommerce checkout flow to increase conversion rates. These obstacles refer to the difficulties clients encounter during the checkout process, and could include things like:
- Slow Website Speed
- Poor Website Design
- Issues Applying Coupon Codes
- Offering Limited Methods of Payment
- Lack of Mobile Friendliness
- Round-about way of getting from “Add to Cart” > “Complete Purchase” (i.e. too many steps)
- Unexpected Fees
Why is Checkout Optimization Important?
The difference between a purchase and an abandoned cart could lie between an effortless checkout experience and just one of the obstacles listed above. Your customers value their time. The more effort and time it takes to check out of your online store could be enough to make them double back on their decision to make a purchase.
How to Optimize Your eCommerce Checkout Process
- Go Through the Motions of Checking Out on Your Website: First off, it’s important to run through your checkout process yourself and identify all the areas that could be considered an obstacle to a customer. Curate a list of these obstacles.
- Run Through the Checkout Process on Other eCommerce Websites: Next, walk through other eCommerce stores’ checkout processes and determine what does and doesn’t work for them. Based on this exercise, create another list of items you would like to include or remove in your checkout process that could make it more seamless.
- Ask Others to Go Through Your Checkout Process As Well: Have others try both exercises as well, whether it be coworkers or friends and family. The more people who experience your checkout process and note the barriers they see, the more you can perfect your checkout flow.
- Implement the Necessary Changes to Improve Your Checkout Process: Once you’ve created your list of barriers and items you’d like to implement, talk to your developer about what it will take to make it happen. Remember that website issues don’t typically get fixed overnight. It’s important to do this exercise now, so your developer has time to implement the changes and fixes before the holiday rush.
If you’re finding that the issues in your checkout process require a developer’s help, reach out to Bytes.co! Our team of developers has worked with dozens of eCommerce Websites including Magento, WooCommerce, and Shopify to ensure the checkout process is smooth, especially in high volume situations.